Monday, December 2, 2019

Forum 10

Jim Boyle- Long time, experienced volunteer who recently was working on the Denewi Creek route rehabilitation on Bald Hill 


Out of all the photos that I have had published this term, I will have to say that this one from my Starker Arts Wetland Restoration piece is my favorite. It stands out to be from the others because the clarity of the photo which I definitely found myself struggling with over the term, the depth of field is really well positioned to where we can clearly see what Jim Boyle is doing, but also see some group activity and background to the purpose of the planting in the background. The framing also feels really nice with the contrast of sharp darkness to the right and the natural lighting to the left. 
I think that this photo definitely reflects on some skills that I focused on, particularly because of the clarity and closeness of the subject. Both of these were the two most prominent challenges that I faced in many of my assignments whether it was the lighting or my confidence in interacting with my subjects. 
My skills of presenting my photos and over all skills have definitely changed in the areas of how and what I want to focus on documenting - events and news stories rather than portraitures of person features- as well as figuring out that perhaps along with adjusting the focus during action more steadily, that I may need to invest in a newer camera also! Or atleast get creative in using my phone and camera. 

  • Getting more comfortable in actually photographing people not just interviewing them 
  • Become more proficient in changing camera settings while in action
  • Practice and discover my niche and get more comfortable in sharing my work with the "world"

I would actually say that from the above goals that I placed at the beginning of the term, I did pretty well at following through and exploring them. I realized that I really enjoy shooting events and social activities, and also feel most comfortable there behind the camera and interviewing rather than just one or the other. I think that I will continue to work on utilizing the camera's tools more, while in action to work with lighting indoors and clarity of subjects. I would like to continue to push myself in sharing my work with the public, and not put myself in a box with this- share more of my photos, personal and assigned.



No comments:

Post a Comment