Monday, October 21, 2019

Week 3 Forum


Shooting an Event :

I decided to shoot an EP album debut concert at Bombs Away Cafe. I chose this event partially because I really enjoy being able to capture candid photos in stimulated, inspired environments. I also chose this to challenge my technical skills with the camera. It definitely helped to have a newer camera compared to my 5 year old Canon.
Some challenges I faced were being able to get front and center to the band without "hindering" the viewers mobility. Most everyone was respectful of the camera and myself, I experienced some shyness about really getting out there. At the same time, I was surprised at how open and willing people were to having their pictures taken. I was able to get some really intimate, natural and passionate shots of people all around the bar.
If I were to shoot this type of event again, I would definitely be a bit more aggressive about positioning myself to where I truly can get the best shots, as well as collecting the information on the spot. I definitely was adamant about checking in with people who I was interested in capturing whether they were comfortable with it or not, and if they were getting their names, but over all I could practice on remembering, getting names and info altogether.


Self-Critique


I would say that my photo of Kelsey Elliot, opening the doors of the Benton Center in Corvallis, is my favorite and best photo for this term so far.

The lighting is perfect, highlighting her face, and I was able to catch some action in the shot even if it is simply opening the door. I think her personality shines through and is a balanced set up of environment, motion and purpose.


I think my least favorite or worst photo of the term was when I was photographing Mrs. Herring in the biology classroom. My camera skills and ability to smoothly adjust ISO and shutter settings definitely showed through. Though part of the light challenge is due to my camera, I am looking forward to strengthening my technical skills.









No comments:

Post a Comment